Some of you may remember that my sweet 4 year old, Ronan was diagnosed with vesicoureteral reflux, or, Kidney reflux. He was diagnosed at 5 weeks old due to a UTI that put him in the hospital.
Since then, they have frequently check on the status and have seen him slowly grow out of it. A perfect answer to prayer.
Today was supposed to be his last check up. To verify that it was gone.
We went to the ultrasound, the tech was nice, but very quiet. She didn't want to chat at all, and spent a LOT of time taking picture of his left kidney.
We then took the images to our specialist.
He came into the room very quiet, a little somber. He stated that Ronan's reflux looks to be no issue any more. Grown out of it.....
Good news right? .....
Did any one from the hospital come look at the pictures? Any second opinions?
* starting to panic now *
"No"
"one of his kidney's has a hump on it... He is in the age range for tumor growth. This happens most likely between 4-6 years of age. You will probably need to get more images done"
The conversation went down hill from there. A lot of talk about tumors, chemo, surgery etc... All worst case scenarios.
He promised to call me as soon as he heard back from the radiologist.
I left, a complete mess. Ronan was so happy, no clue how scary the situation was. The twins were fussy, so I just kinda went through the motions. Filled with fear.
I got the call... I answered, prepared for the worst. The word "benign" never sounded so beautiful. He said that it was a normal variation. Nothing more to be concerned about....
I broke down and cried after that.
All the images of surgeries, sleepless nights of worry, fear of the unknown, could be put to rest....
Then my heart felt for the parents who didn't get those calls. The ones that were malignant. My heart broke for them
We never know. Never know when God might call us to a difficult circumstance. One that might even call our children home before us.... Lord willing I never ever have to cross that bridge.
I do know that even through the darkest valleys. My God is good. This gives me more fuel than ever to teach my children about their Heavenly Father. To ensure they understand the price Jesus paid for them. The truth that if hey believe, they will be in heaven when they pass. That we will all be together on the other side of this life.
oh melissa, that had to be just so scary. its a hard lesson to be able to turn your babies over the the Lord and trust that He is in control regardless of the circumstances. i am grateful for the good news but like you, i often think of those that do not receive that phone call. i guess our option is to just remember those parents/children in prayer.
ReplyDeletenice to see you blogging again!
I know.... I always feel like I am trusting my kids to The Lord.... Then something scary happens and I go bonkers!!!!
DeleteHow easy it is too loose your eternal focus in this world!!!